That growth continues as of this writing, as the cartridge has now gone mainstream with hunters and shooters alike. This went on off and on.for three yearswe were the Naval Aviation version of M.A.S.H. Most shooters first roll their eyes when hearing you say you have a 22 Creedmoor, just hearing the word Creedmoor, but they often do a double take a second or two later and ask, 22?. For more information about keeping a Shooting Record Book, read our article titled: How to Estimate Range with the Mil-Dot Reticle (Subheading: How to Determine Target Size). Related Tags: I dont really care for comparisons based on different caliber rounds. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. Erosion from bullet friction alone is minimal as suggested by the longer barrel life of "mild" cartridges like 30-30 Winchester, 22 Hornet, and especially 22 rimfire. 22 Creedmoor. I have rifles chambered in both 6.5 and 6mm Creedmoor (CM) but the 22 CM has captured my attention. Regardless of who the actual pioneer was, the caliber was created, and with it, possibly the all-time best 22 caliber rifle cartridge ever. Features & Specifications Remington 700 Action, Cylindrically Ground (Converted to Side Bolt Release) Rail Screw Threads Opened Up to 8/40 (Action Re-Blued) Shilen Alternut Installed BDL, Accepts Standard AICS 3901 & 3902 Magazines 26" Shilen Match Barrel (4 Groove Rachet Rifling) Twist: 1:7.5 Chambered by Shilen in 22 Creedmoor Savage pre fits come in 2 shank sizes; Standard (small) Shank / 1.058"-20, Large / 1.120"-20. #3123699 - 01/17/18 12:34 PM Re: 22 Creedmoor [Re: thoms715] CZ527 Die Hard Member III Registered: 12/25/14 Posts . The gunsmith would need to preferably have a 22 Creedmoor reamer to create a chamber in the barrel for it, however some advanced gunsmiths can turn a chamber based on a 22 Creedmoor brass case. 22 Creedmoor Load Data Since its' inception, in 2007 by Hornady, the 6.5 Creedmoor has seen some pretty meteoric growth in popularity. I have also been shooting a .260 Rem out of a M700 for almost as long. My buddy has one. Thats some great information, i figure my barrel will be lucky to make it to 1000rds, 800-1000 seems to be a trend, Im running test with the 4831sc this weekend, and I think I low balled myself compared to those loads you posted, we will see, once again thanks for contributing, this really is one bad ass round. While some think that energy is not the all-important factor and cite archery and sub-sonic hog hunting as an example; really cant argue that either. The old standard would have dropped a rainbow-like curve of 12.6 mils at the 1000-yard mark. Choices are great, Lapua brass with large primers is what made me choose a 22-250 instead of a 22 Creedmoor. Thanks for the informative story! Here is a brief summary of the cartridge. The Creedmoor gets its longrange performance reputation from a combination of 140- to 143-grain, high B.C. This data may of course vary in reality (depending on a wide range of variables), but it will give you a good indication of which cartridges to stay away from if you plan on spending excessive amounts of time at the range, and are concerned over your barrels lifespan. I'll elaborate more on 25 Creedmoor in future stories! Or even better, compare it to the 220 swift! Well, Im always a bit skeptical of studies and statistics since they can easily be swayed depending on what is included or excluded in the study, or how the study process is conducted. All of these Creedmoor cartridges are truly great long-range rounds when compared to the old military/police standard 308. We have shooters today who are highly specialized in their shooting niche. Getting to 22CM from 6CM is a straight forward pass through a FL die. Well, the good news is the 22 CM seems to have all the energy needed for the task. Please keep this thread to actual reloading information, and if you can please post some round count, barrel life numbers are all over the place. There are a number of things that a shooter can do to reduce barrel wear. Nothing changes..heavy vs super light! One of the most common uses for the 22 Creedmoor caliber, is in compact truck rifles, or varmint rifles. Anyone have load data for 22 creedmoor 50 gr. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on J 22 Creedmoor is badass. A rifle barrel can continue wearing while still proving the shooter with many months or years of successful shooting, until reaching a point where the barrel no longer provides the accuracy that you require from the rifle. You could even use 6.5mm brass, it would simply take more work to neck down. But I am interested in this apparent incongruity. If I was to do it over again, I would build a lighter hunting weight rifle, which in reality would mean just a slimmer barrel and dropping down to a Nightforce NX8 2.5- 20x scope. Using Hornady 6 creedmoor necked down at the moment. Our hair was long, wed wear cut off Navy dungarees, (jeans), Navy chambray shirts with the sleeves removedwe would shoot enormous amounts of ammunition, we basically looked like 180 degree out of phase squids>>>(sailors). Heres my issue or more correctly, just a question. It's a cool cartridge for sure. We would even recommend it above 6mm competition calibers in precision shooting matches under 800 yards other than PRS matches with their 3,200 fps limit. I just decided to build a 22-250. The now super popular Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor case is no exception to that rule. And, if you shoot an AR platform, a Blaser R8, or Sauer 202, you can swap out barrels on your own in seconds. 6548306D-74FF-424F-A172-75F117B1FDBE.jpeg. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Bullet diameter.224, Shoulder angle30 degrees, Rim diameter.468, Case length1.92 inches, Primer typeLarge and small. Research shows that recommendations range from 800 ft-lbs to 1300 ft-lbs. IN something like this with such a short barrel life.I am of the opinion that once I find a load that works, I stick with it. It sounds to me like your pissing on the .308, something MANY snipers would disagree with as well. What is does excel at though, and arguably better than any other cartridge ever made, is for taking down coyotes and other varmint. But the popularity of this round, although not gaining momentum as fast as the 6.5mm Creedmoor, or the new 224 Valkyrie has (admittedly because it is not marketed as much by manufacturers because it means normal current Creedmoor rifles can easily be converted to 22 Creedmoor), is starting to gather speed. The performance of the 22 CM with 75 80 grain bullets makes it an outstanding varmint cartridge. Please double check the 500 yd energy of the 308 168 SMK. The 22-243win and 22-243AI I was shooting have found themselves virtually untouched, while the 22CM has dominated coyotes in a way no other 22cal has before it. But ballistics seem to show that the old 6mm Rem and .260 Rem more than hold their own against the new Creedmore offerings. Features: Bolt Action, 6.5 Creedmoor, 22" Fluted Stainless Barrel, SA Radial Brake, Green Co. Springfield Armory 2020 Waypoint - For Sale - New :: Guns.com 3/3/2023 Want One? My opinion of the matter is as it has been for many years. The same with rifles. . The need to find a cartridge that performs better under that very particular scenario comes with this niche emphasis. This helps us keep this site going, and does not affect the price you would pay usually in any way whatsoever. I can not speak to the virtures of Alpha brass, but I haven't heard any complaints about their other offerings. JavaScript is disabled. Dies, brass are coming out now, powders and GREAT bullets are already here. I also shot an impala with a headshot, it took almost half the head off. So, it is definitely more than just the energy numbers that is important. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. A highly accurate, easy to shoot rifle with a flat trajectory will make for confident hunting. energy at a recoil velocity of 12 fps. This is my favorite rifle, too. Some might not want to fireform especially in todays situation, BUT for me I found lapua brass in 22-250, and that was the deal breaker for me. How to Estimate Range with the Mil-Dot Reticle. I moved a couple of years ago..I sorted through hundreds of gun magazines, its all the same. I have personally taken a large Zebra male with a clean headshot with my 22CM shooting a 75gr Hornady ELD-M at 3650 fps, it dropped right on the spot. Everyone is in the .45 ACP vs the tiny 9mm for a couple of years..then they ALL switch to the side of the deeper hitting 9mm! A barrel log should be kept for each rifle in your Shooting Record Book, or Field Data Book, and may also be stored on an electronic copy or cloud drive for safekeeping. Life Jackets . I know guys that run anything from 22-26" barrels, 1-6.5 to 1-7 is what you'll need for the heaviest bullets. The 90gr smk has almost the same B.C. Among his training credits include NRA Instructor, AR-15 armorer, FBI Rifle Instructor, and Officer Low Light Survival Instructor. The original 6XC chambering was designed based off the usage of 22-250 brass which typically has a web diameter in the range of .461-.463. The 22 Creedmoor will come standard with a 1-in-7-inch fast-twist barrel, and combined with the increased volume inside its case, you can push those long pills over at 3,450 feet per second! Casing Type:.22 Creedmoor LRP (Large Rifle Primer) Casing Trim Length: 1.910" Primer: Federal Large Rifle Magnum Match (GM215M) Rifle Firearm Used: Horizon Firearms .22 Creedmoor Barrel Length: 24" Rate-of-Twist: 1 in 8" Casing Manufacturer: Peterson Cartridge Co. Casing Type:.22 Creedmoor LRP (Large Rifle Primer) Casing Trim Length: 1.910" Your observation sounds spot on. The .22-243AI, middlestead, and 22-6 were speed demons to be sure, but there were always crippled due to mag length restrictions or fire forming considerations. The consensus on the optimal barrel length for 6.5 Creedmoor is 24" and 26", if the objective is long range Precision Rifle Shooting (PRS). Last season, after my . Yet the 22-243 had obstacles of its own, with it often having somewhat narrow and finicky accuracy nodes. Excellent ballistic performance. PRS matches typically limit bullet speeds to 3200 fps, which coincidentally works well since Copper Creek offers the 22 CM with a 95-grain SMK at 3160 fps based on a 24 barrel. I'm going to try out 22x47L once this barrel is toast. Texas Ammo Inc BallisTX 22 Creedmoor 80gr ELD-M 20rd Bx/ 25 Cs . The bullet diameter is .224, the same as any other .22 centerfire cartridge like the 223 Rem., 22-250 Rem., 224 Weatherby Magnum, 223 WSSM and 220 Swift. Lets use the following .300 Winchester Magnum loads to demonstrate. When you use the link above to shop for one of the products, we receive a small commission from the sale, at no extra cost to you. Rather than gripe, i got out of my tree and left it to the combat hunters. If you are gun-savy and have a barrel vise, a Savage barrel nut wrench and the corresponding chambers' Go gauge, you have everything you need to correctly change your Savage barrel. All Local Sales are FREE! That means the lands on my 6mm Creedmoor eroded 0.077" over 1300 rounds, which is an average of 0.0059" every 100 rounds (i.e. The first was for the coyotes and varmints previously mentioned. Compared to my rifle chambered in .308 Winchester which also has a 20" barrel, the 6 CM needs 30% less elevation out to 1,000 yards and is 25% better in the wind. BAck in the 70s we used to shoot 85gr Sierra hollow point boat tail bullets in our 6mm Rems. 22 Creedmoor is also often mispelled as 22 Creedmoore or Creedmore, it is also often called the 22 6.5 Creedmoor denoting the main 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge that it was developed from. If I was going to build another one it would be on a 1-7 twist barrel just to try the 95gr smk. The oldest actual proof of the 22 Creedmoor caliber in a rifle, being an image uploaded on a McWhorter Custom Rifles blog post about the 22 Creedmoor caliber round and the speed achieved by one shot on 22 September 2012. Your email address will not be published. Both these rounds are considered fantastic for long-range shooting. Cm case has greater volume, so 250 ammo should not pose a pressure concern. Both of them usually have a 22 Creedmoor for sale and in stock. The 22 Creedmoor can comfortably take down most CXP3 size animals with well placed shots in the head or heart, if the bullets are expanding type bullets in 75 grain or larger size, however, for general recommendations, we would keep to CXP2 animals up to the 300 pound class, and you will be withing safe limits. Who do you know who has enough guns? First you have to define "barrel life" and then you have to consider the number one enemy to the barrel, heat and pressure. The available ammunition is priced in line with high-quality hunting and match ammunition, which is taking the 22 CM a step beyond the realm of a wildcat requiring hand-loading, and getting closer to that of being a factory product. The oldest actual talk or mention of a 22 Creedmoor caliber or cartridge being a comment suggestion made by Chad Dixon from Long Rifles Inc. on another SnipersHide post on 19 September 2012, in response to another user wondering about shooting 90gr bullets from a 220 swift. Barrel life, according to most precision shooters is basically the number of rounds expected before the rifle shows inaccuracy of more than one MOA. Note, I shoot it like I stole it. From what info I was able to find on the net, it was designed a few years ago by the GAP ( Georgia Precision) folks specifically to shoot long heavy .22 cal bullets at decent hunting velocity while providing a good barrel life and flawless feeding from detachable mags. Required fields are marked *. Personally for most other field competition shooting for distances below 1000 yards, we recommend the 22 Creedmoor above almost all other cartridges. 6mm Creedmoor Barrel Life. He is passionate about shooting sports and the outdoors. The 22 CM drops below that 800 ft-lb threshold at between 600 to 775 yards depending on the bullet and velocity of Copper Creek's different offerings. For a varmint cartridge, 95% of your shots will be inside 500 yards, and probably 80% inside 300. Required fields are marked *. The Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020 rifle is an exceptionally accurate rifle. Do you think 45gr of R26 would be a good starting point? It will not be long and 22CM dies will be in stock at the usual sources. Ive heard of guys blowing up 90 and 95 smks with 6.5 twist barrels. Satterlee Scott. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The reason for this is to generate the highest muzzle velocities, and lowest Standard Deviation of velocity. Gotta love the experts who denounce new cartridges as useless just because they own something similar. Allow extra time for your barrel to cool between shots, and avoid rapid or sustained fire where possible. Furthermore, allowing the barrel to cool between strings of fire will also help extend your barrel life. More importantly, why all the fuss? For reference, I shoot 155's at about 3030 fps in my .308's, and generally take them off at about 3500 rounds. Almost all fell in their tracks. My memories of my military time make me smile.. 168 SMKs dont have only 410 ft-lbs of muzzle energy at 500 yards. In the recent few years, it feels like a new rifle cartridge is coming out almost monthly. I use Lapua in my 22-250 and making it into 6.5 Creed was a disaster. We used a Tikka T3 Stainless Action from a rifle originally chambered in 308 Win, fitted a .224 Krieger barrel on it with the chamber cut for a 22 Creedmoor, and now we have a superb Tikka 22 Creedmoor. The barrel may still produce many years of happy shooting. 6CM starts out at a neck diameter of approximately .271" and a loaded 22 creedmoor with hornady brass will end up at about .254-.255". We have checked the reamer records accordingly. The answer also relies heavily on your goals; a benchrest shooter will consider a barrel shot-out long before a hunter will. Thankfully though, there are many companies now including Hornady, Peterson, Alpha Munitions and a few more, making 22 Creedmoor brass cases. Note: the following data does not necessarily demonstrate the most accurate load (or node), but rather demonstrates how barrel wear can be reduced by altering the propellant load. 22 Creedbrass is or has been made by Alpha Munitions, Peterson Cartridge, ADG, and Hornady. It really doesnt out do my 22-250AI, its probably going to be used for something else. At 4100, it was about the best shooting 308 barrel I've ever had. The original 6XC chambering was designed based off the usage of 22-250 brass which typically has a web diameter in the range of .461-.463. You need to know that it is a laser beam and varmint vaporizer! Estimated at roughly 1% the cost of a modern rifle setup The Ultimate Guide To Rifle Marksmanship will be one of the best purchases you could ever make as a rifle owner! At really long ranges, the 6.5 Creedmoor is less affected by wind, making it less critical of wind calls. Reviewer Jeff Cramblit built a 22 Creedmoor rifle and tested it with a variety of bullet weights. However, after running basic ballistic numbers on the 22 CM it looked very interesting. With super light recoil, and speeds exceeding that of a hot 22-250 by 150-200fps, the 22 Creedmoor takes down coyotes at any distance, fast. Proudly powered by. The Creedmoor has a maximum SAAMI pressure of 62,000 psi and the PRC has a max pressure of 65,000 psi. Like most modern cartridges with minimum taper and 30-degree shoulders, the .22 Creedmoor is set up with long throats and fast twist barrels to handle bullets as heavy as 95 grains, pushing them as fast as 3,000 fps.
Cda Portfolio Cda Competency Statement 2, Expressjet Airlines Employment Verification, Land Based Fishing Tannum Sands, Clapham Rail Disaster Corporate Manslaughter, Tornado Warning Montgomery County Tx, Articles OTHER