Why? he asked. The lawsuit contends that Griffin violated the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which prohibits officeholders sworn to uphold the Constitution from engaging in an insurrection against the U.S. government. Griffin lists himself as manager of Cowboys for Trump. He grew up in Reserve, in western New Mexico, where his father ran a sawmill. See State ex rel. A group of prominent constitutional attorneys filed a friend-of-the-court brief on Aug. 1 arguing that Griffin should be removed from office. ALAMOGORDO, N.M. (KRQE) New video shows former County Commissioner Couy Griffin getting pulled over and getting into it with police officers. Im asking you all to consider showing up to an air-conditioned building, organizing, opening your mouth and saying: These machines suck. He delved into politics too, serving as a county Republican chair and as an unsuccessful Republican primary candidate for the U.S. Senate in 2014. Griffin took the oath of office in December 2018 when he was sworn in as a commissioner. No fewer than 86 judges rejected at least one post-election lawsuit filed by Trump or his supporters, a Washington Post review of court filings found. A jury will consider this week whether the support group . Published: January 6, 2022 - 1:40 PM. In what he described as a mission, he traveled on horseback from San Francisco to New York, and then across Europe and the Mediterranean to Jerusalem, arriving in 2008 after more than two years on the road. As CPAC's 2023 edition kicks off, the man who greets the myriad right-wing activists and supporters descending on Maryland . Griffin had recently been booted out of office following his conviction on federal charges for trespassing outside the Capitol building during the January 6 attack. The second trial in the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot case is underway Monday, with New Mexico county commissioner, self-proclaimed cowboy and noted conspiracy theorist Couy Griffin appearing . Cowboys for Trump co-founder Couy Griffin confronted a trial by jury on Tuesday on charges that he failed to register a political organisation without filing related public financial disclosures. I'm sure the NM State Police will send you a video of the notorious cowboy criminal being cuffed and perp-walked. The Couy Griffin Interview concerning the trial can be heard following the advertisement in the KALH Radio AlamogordoTownNews.com archives as the lead story following the weather report. Couy Griffin Wife, Children Griffin is currently single, he was previously married to his girlfriend Kourtnie A Gates, but they were divorced in 2019. ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. Couy Griffin, Cowboys for Trump founder and Otero County commissioner, was arrested last year for his involvement in the Jan. 6 Capitol riots. Griffin participated in, encouraged, and promoted the January 6, 2021, attack on the United States Capitol, the suit alleges. A recall effort is underway, amid a bevy of lawsuits. "Due to the effects of the Mexican spotted owl, our access to timber on the federal lands was restricted," he said. The believer. Mr Griffin, the founder of Cowboys for Trump, said in an interview with journalist Mr Griffin that he believed both Sicknick and Ashli Babbitt are still alive. Ct. Sept. 6, 2022) [hereinafter Griffin . Cowboys for Trump founder Couy Griffin, who is facing charges in connection with the U.S. Capitol riot, has turned on the former president in a conference speech for abandoning January 6. Griffin lost that case but still appears to have failed to follow the court order. For years, Otero County Commissioner Couy Griffin has been Donald Trump's most flamboyant supporter in New Mexico, creating spectacles and controversy in equal measure. He further stated in his plea for public support; this fight is much greater than the person of Couy Griffin. The Proud Boy. Weve never experienced a national coup, he told the crowd, standing before red, white and blue signs strung up alongside a bingo board. It was a complete change. . The New Mexico Supreme Court denied an appeal from former Otero County Commissioner Couy Griffin in the case that removed him from office based on his actions during the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection. Toward the end of the meeting, Donna Swanson, a former presiding poll judge in Otero County who worked with Holmes for years, stepped up to speak. In the search warrant documents filed with the court investigators detail that a Griffin supporter, Casey Conlee, created a Cowboys For Trump GoFundMe account to raise funds under the groups name. The donut shop has announced it has closed its South Valley and Northeast Heights locations. And yet he remains determined. The role of creativity in resilience and community-building, Alamogordo Proud Downtown Nights Otero Arts Exhibition Opening, Late Shopping and More, Downtown stores open till 8 pm Friday student art exhibition and more, Alamogordo Proud It is All About the Fashion Spotlight Alamogordo Artisan Linda Swenson, Alamogordo Proud is All about the fashions of Alamogordo's Linda Swenson, AlamogordoTownNews.com Tularosa High School Students Excel in Competitions, AlamogordoTownNews.com Not Guilty! Clements also asserted that the digital file containing the ballots from the 2020 elections had been deliberately wiped from the voting machines when in fact separate files are created for each election and the ballots and other records are preserved. Its probably why New Mexico is a toilet. Nichols, advised that the frivolous lawsuit would not pass muster in court and would cost the county more than $100,000. The countys attorney disagreed, calling the argument highly unlikely.. This story has been shared 104,709 times. Now, Clements has taken his message nationwide, traveling to small towns in more than a dozen states, with a focus, he said, on places that are forgotten and abandoned and overlooked. His crusade to prove that voting systems cant be trusted has deepened fears among election experts, who say his meritless claims could give Trump allies more fodder to try to disrupt elections in November and beyond. Republican primary candidates embracing Trumps stolen election rhetoric have flourished this year. Otero County Commissioner Couy Griffin, the founder of Cowboys for Trump, takes in the view from his ranch in Tularosa, N.M., on Wednesday, May 12, 2021. , VIDEO: Giant I-40 light poles sway in strong ABQ, Taxidermy birds used to make drones at New Mexico, PHOTOS: Storm leaves parts of state covered in snow, PHOTOS: Winter storm moves through NM leaving snow, PHOTOS: Storm causes snowy, icy roads across New, Map: New Mexico Veterans Monuments and Memorials, 13 Broadcast Pl SW, Albuquerque, NM, 87104, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. "When they put this thought into people's minds, that somehow our machines are not calculating the votes correctly, then these people will not want to vote.". By MORGAN LEE Associated Press February 28, 2023, 1:31 PM SANTA FE, N.M. -- Cowboys for Trump cofounder Couy Griffin confronted a trial by jury Tuesday on charges that he failed to register a political organization without filing related public financial disclosures. I take the seatbelts very serious.Griffin: Oh yeah, Im sure.Officer: Yeah, just because all the crashes Ive seen.Griffin: Its too bad you dont take more of the drugs and the other crime going on a little bit more serious instead of out here citing people for no seatbelts. Nichols, and awarded a nearly $50,000 contract to audit about 24,000 votes to Echomail, which was among the companies who audited the 2020 vote in Maricopa County, AZ. They even quote me and cite my work on voting systems with modems and internet connectivity, but I disagree with every conclusion they draw from my work., I dont think he understands what hes talking about most of the time, said Greenhalgh. "My day consisted of everything non-violent and patriotic, but the media is trying to paint a different picture, and unfortunately, theyre having success at it," Griffin told KOB 4. The January 6th attack and the events surrounding it constituted an insurrection against the government and Constitution of the United States as defined by the 14th Amendment, the suit alleges. Like others preaching the gospel of election fraud, Clements has attracted a large following online, where he mixes conspiracies with Christian nationalist and sometimes violent rhetoric. Because what they get away to doing to me will be what they inevitably do to you. The county sheriffs sole duty and responsibility is to protect our individual rights, he said. Griffin had recently been booted out of office following his conviction on federal charges for trespassing outside the Capitol building during the January 6 attack. Distraught that Bidens victory would be validated by Congress despite the insurrection, he has said that he ran outside and fell on his knees, next to the fire pit. Under the first-look pact, Mortal Media will develop and produce a range of projects across film and television, in [] Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. I know they do. Allison Kuhn won outstanding team leader, Otero Electric Co-op Making Progress Restoring Power in Cloudcroft, Mescalero and Mountain Villages, KALH Radio Alamogordo Town News Exclusive PreTrial Interview with Attorney Johnathon C Miller, Ole Time Revival Feel Welcome to Counselor Johnathon C Miller Sets stage for Couy Griffin Trial, 2nd Life Media AlamogordoTownNews.com Event Calendar. He says his obsession with politics has taken a toll, contributing to his 2019 divorce and tensions with relatives. He saw the sawmill's work as "curating" the forest. Many of the comments predated the 2020 election and focused on the potential for foreign interference. Given his intelligence and accomplishments, the fact that hes decided to pursue this provably false theory is tragic and surprising, said Chris Luchini, the head of the Libertarian Party of New Mexico and a former colleague of Clements. They are wrong about voting technology, election processes, certification, and legal requirements, Skoglund said. Any further details regarding Kourtnie have not been disclosed yet. "There's no absolutely no reason for this," she said. Meanwhile, state prosecutors are investigating allegations Griffin used his office in coordination with Cowboys for Trump for personal financial gain, and signed a child-support check to his ex-wife from his Cowboys for Trump account. Do you regret anything that happened? He asked me to cover the prayer vigil we were the only press to do so and his attorney was happy with the coverage as was he and moved to tears. Griffin is presumed innocent until proven guilty. A Donald Trump supporter, Griffin founded Cowboys for Trump and listed his sister Kay Griffin as its organizer. 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Trump proposes building futuristic, Jetsons-like freedom cities on federal land, Pompeo calls $31 trillion national debt indecent at CPAC, Trump recites Pledge of Allegiance in collaboration on new song with J6 Prison Choir, Bidens laughable, late-to-the-game crackdown on massive COVID fraud. And yet he remains determined. Donnie Reynolds, a 51-year-old sales associate at an Alamogordo hardware store, says Griffin is being targeted for ties to Trump. Colorado State slices up Lobos; UNM is a 6 seed in league tourney, After bill was vetoed last year, lawmakers try again to boost pay of NM judges, If it MUST be the NIT, UNM basketball has a plan. At times I felt cursed. The audience, which included a local minister, a bank teller and farmers in their overalls, gasped in horror or whispered wow with each new claim. Mr Griffin participated in a phone interview with Anthony Lucero on Alamogordo Town News radio edition on KALHRADIO.org 95.1 FM he explained the upcoming trail from his standpoint per a link at the end of this story. I said, God save us, please, please save our country, he recalled in a speech in Michigan last year. Still, loyal constituents are easy to come by in a rural county steeped in the anti-establishment, pro-gun culture that dominates southern New Mexico. For all his bombast and showmanship, Griffin's fortunes and conviction seem to be waning. He yearns to someday run for governor even though state GOP leaders are openly scornful and Democrats hold every statewide elected office. Defiance of federal government and its oversight of public lands are staples of politics in Otero County, which spans an area three times the size of Delaware, from the dunes of White Sands National Park to the peaks of the Lincoln National Forest. And he is disillusioned with Trump himself, citing an issue that brings him back to his earliest grievances: forest management. Griffin has suggested that voting machines provided by Dominion Voting Systems across New Mexico could have been hacked. Cowboys for Trump co-founder Couy Griffin confronted a trial by jury on Tuesday on charges that he failed to register a political organisation without filing related public financial disclosures. "I don't think there's any more productive way to spend tax dollars than to make sure our elections aren't compromised," he told an Otero County Commission meeting in January. Ive had my own family say some pretty nasty things, Griffin said. That day, Democrats on the House Oversight Committee released their report into the threat of election misinformation. Alamogordo High School Alamogordo Proud Breaking Stereotypes and Winning in Welding Competition, Alamogordo was the only team to be represented with female welders. By MORGAN LEE February 28, 2023. My mom worked at Kmart and Lowes, my dad bagged groceries, he said. And since he is still in office, he was able to push for the audit. Former Otero County Commissioner and well-known rabble-rouser Couy Griffin was pulled over in Alamogordo in his Dodge Ram in early November. He had a son with her, who currently lives with her. He is a pastor, a Republican and the son of a former commissioner in Catron County, New Mexico. Investigators said the investigation was launched after Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver referred her investigation into Griffins refusal to register C4T as a political committee and disclose donors and expenses. The ruling comes after lawyers for Griffin's ex-wife, Kourtnie, filed an emergency motion in May to modify their custody and visitation agreement. She also worked as a podcast producer for The Economist among other outlets, and tries to meld a love of sound and storytelling with solid reporting on the community. It sounds good and people believe it because it sounds authoritative if you dont know much.. Wearing a Cowboys for Trump shirt, and sitting in the office he shares with the heads of a deer and an elk, Griffin discussed the roots of his brand of populist politics. Magda Jean-Louis and Alice Crites contributed to this report. He continued per the sent email; I believe another motivation for this charge is that by forcing me to register as a c-corp or non-profit it will force me to disclose all financials to the state and by doing that they will be able to unmask any past supporters of Cowboys for Trump to only destroy them with the same vindictiveness that they have come at me with. Couy Griffin was wanted on an arrest warrant after storming the barricades of the Capitol Jan. 6, said authorities. The couple soon found an ally in Couy Griffin, a flamboyant former Disneyland Paris rodeo cowboy who until this week was a member of the county commission in Otero, a rural New Mexico community. Because I care about the truth. And something happened. This could either be the final nail in my coffin or this could be a true day of reckoning. The claim that the volunteer canvassers found dozens of ghost voters at one address turned out to reference the Post Office box at a nearby military base. They want to destroy our country, Griffin said in a video monologue. Because I want to make sure our voices are accurately captured. The pickup was emblazoned with his Cowboys For Trump logo. Shows how clueless you really are. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. He sees. "We would cut trees that had been blown over by the wind, we would cut trees that have been killed by forest fires," he said. "I've had my own family say. 89.9 FM Live From The University Of New Mexico. Otero County Clerk Robyn Holmes disagrees. The couple soon found an ally in Couy Griffin, a flamboyant former Disneyland Paris rodeo cowboy who until this week was a member of the county commission in Otero, a rural New Mexico community of 69,000 along the Texan border. Public defense attorneys say a close reading of the law shows the area wasnt off limits. With Trump or without, Griffin still ascribes to unsubstantiated claims of massive 2020 election fraud. In addition Mr. Griffin sent an email to his supporters which said, If convicted of this charge I could be sentenced to a year in state prison. Im not going to sit and argue with that.. TULAROSA, N.M. He rodeoed in a Buffalo Bill-style Wild West show, carried his message on horseback from the Holy Land to Times Square and was invited to the White House to meet the president. D-101-CV-2022-00473, 2022 WL 4295619 (N.M. Dist. The cowboy. The lawsuit against Griffin was filed in March by Marco White and Leslie Lakind, both Santa Fe County residents, along with Mark Mitchell of Los Alamos County. Couy Griffin's Wife, Children Griffin is currently single, he was previously married to his girlfriend Kourtnie A Gates, but they were divorced in 2019. Contact Senator Griggs and Burton for Yes. Mr Griffin appears to be setting the stage of this court case with home court advantage. Griffin was convicted in federal court of entering a restricted area outside the U.S. Capitol. "They see that I'm willing to take a stand," he said. "You know, here I am still in a county that still has a great fire threat," Griffin said. Officer: Hello, sir.Griffin: How you doing? Who is going to break whose will? Clements said. Holmes said this is baseless and runs the risk of eroding trust in democratic systems. Griffin plans to ride the charges out to trial, claiming theres more than meets the eye.
Byrd High School Football Roster, How Many Penalties In Super Bowl 2022, Knowledge Engineer Inventions, Louise Fletcher It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Articles C